Fellow journalist in recess here! I started off at The Michigan Daily and Benzinga and transitioned to tech (Fetchnotes, Occipital).
Things I miss:
- The global view you get of the world — constantly I now find myself thinking “What? How did I miss this?” when reading
- The ability to help others tell a story and give a loudspeaker to causes/issues I cared about
- The amazing, multi-faceted discussions I had with people in newsrooms.
- Writing! I don’t get to enough anymore. It truly does make me happy.
- Working with other writers — I know more about what they do than developers, so it’s easier for me to give feedback from a place of authority and experience
Things I don’t miss:
- The pay
- Being forced to write about things — and the fact that it turns something I love, writing, into a chore
- The cynicism that becomes inevitable when you work in the industry long enough
If you ever want to chat about the transition, give me a holler at firstname.lastname@example.org. I also think about whether or not I want to get back into the game all the time.